Home Bangkok

Bangkok Governor Tells All Condo One X Residents to Stay Home After Sudanese Neighbor’s Self-Quarantine

Only 15 of hundreds of residents had even slight exposure to coronavirus

Bangkok’s governor has told residents of a Sukhumvit condominium tower where a Sudanese family self-quarantined for Covid-19 to stay home and avoid public places.

Despite the fact that only 15 residents of the Condo One X tower rode the same elevator as the African diplomats, city hall, in yet another shocking overreaction, says “just to be safe” everyone in the skyscraper should be kept home.

Gov. Atsawin Khwanmuang said Khlong Toei District health officials already had cleared the tower after management closed public areas and disinfected everywhere from doors to elevator buttons.

About 160 residents took advantage of free coronavirus tests, results of which were returned – without positive finding – on Wednesday.

Sudan’s charge d’affaires, his wife and daughter had returned from a humanitarian mission to Sudan earlier this month on the second of two repatriation flights to evacuate 400 of the 750 Thai students there.

Twelve people on that flight so far have tested positive for the coronavirus. All but one – the diplomats’ 9-year-old daughter – were in state quarantine. She tested positive for Covid-19 on July 10 and was hospitalized. Her parents, however, took advantage of diplomatic privilege to skip state quarantine and isolate at the Sudanese embassy. They never went. Instead the sheltered for two days at Condo One X without informing the Public Health Ministry or the even the condo’s management. After two days, they relocated to the embassy.

In doing so, the infected girl led to serious virus exposure for seven people – three family members, their driver, an embassy staffer and two Foreign Ministry employees. Fifteen condo residents technically were exposed via using the same elevator, although the practical risk is negligible.