Home Business Sun Legal Update

Sun Legal Update: Thailand Offers Digital Work Permits

Sun Legal Sunbelt Update

Select long-term visa holders can now apply for a digital work permit at the One-Stop Service Center for visas and work permits in Bangkok their provincial labor offices.

The fee for the digital work permit is 3,000 baht a year and, once filed, the visa’s applicant can work before the permit is issued.

Those working for an employer will have a work permit valid for the employment period while for those without an employer it will be valid for the period requested in the application. The maximum term of the digital work permit is five years and it can be extended for another five.

Additionally, visa holders who operate their own business are exempted from hiring four Thais for every one foreign employee.

Covid-19 Downgrade Oct. 1

The government will downgrade Covid-19 to a “communicable disease under surveillance” on Oct. 1 and remove it from a list of prohibited diseases for foreigners entering or having residency in Thailand.

There will no longer be checks of vaccination status or antigen tests required for visitors entering the country and people will no longer be required to self-isolate if symptoms are mild or if there are no symptoms.

The Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration will be disbanded and the Emergency Decree revoked, pending Cabinet approval.

Usufructs allow foreigners land use for their lifetime

Foreigners wanting to hold land have several options, a 30-year lease is one, but another is the usufruct.

A usufruct allows the holder the right to use and manage another person’s real estate and receive the benefits from it. The holder cannot own the property, sell or transfer it, but can lease it for no more than three years.

The usufruct comes to an end at the end of the agreed period or the lifetime of the holder. If the usufruct is granted to a juristic person, the period cannot exceed 30 years.

A usufruct can be given with or without payment. This offers holders legal protection for the property owned by a Thai citizen including a spouse. However, in the event of a divorce, it may not be protected.

The holder is required to maintain the property and take normal care of the property. If they do not, and the property loses value due to poor management, or in a poor state of repair, then the owner of the land can terminate the usufruct. The holder could be held liable for the loss in value unless they can prove the damages are not their fault.

The usufruct must be registered at the Land Department and if paid for then registration fees are 1% and 0.1% stamp duty of the total cost, or if the usufruct is granted for free, then the registration will cost less than 100 baht a plot.

If you are interested in learning more about registering a usufruct contact us using the form below.

Fill out my online form.