Foreigners planning to visit Thailand in the coming months will be able to purchase compulsory Covid-19 insurance policies online prior to arrival.
Tourism Authority of Thailand Gov. Yuthasak Supasorn said Friday that the Office of Insurance Commission has made policies available over the internet to “provide additional peace-of-mind for foreign visitors and hopefully makes it easier for inbound travelers”.
Proof of insurance that has coverage of at least US$100,000 (about 3.16 million baht) for any Covid-19 treatment is among the many official documents required from foreigners planning to visit Thailand during this coronavirus pandemic.
The Thai General Insurnace Association and Thai Life Assurance Association, plus 16 leading and non-life insurance companies in Thailand, are partnering with the oversight according to regulations from the OIC to offer the protection program to foreign visitors.
Foreign travelers will enjoy the following advantages of purchasing an OIC-endorsed medical insurance policy, which is available online here.
- The insurance policy has been approved by the Thai government and can be used in the Thai visa application process. Coverage begins immediately upon arrival in Thailand.
- No need for advance payment or out-of-pocket expenses when admitted at private hospitals nationwide. Insurance coverage does not exceed $100,000.
- In the case of death from Covid-19 infection, the insurance company will provide a life insurance benefit of $100,000 or about 3.16 million baht to the beneficiary.
- The insurance premium cost is reasonable, the process is overseen by the OIC, and purchase can be done efficiently online.
- Thailand’s public health infrastructure and healthcare facilities, as well as healthcare professionals are recognized as some of the best in Asia for treating infectious diseases.
The OIC-endorsed Covid-19 insurance packages vary from 30 days to one year. The premium ranges from 1,600-4,800 baht for 30 days of coverage; from 2,880-8,640 baht for 60 days; from 3,840 – 12,160 Baht for 90 days; from 7,680 – 23,040 baht for 120 days, and from 14,400 – 43,200 baht for one year.
TAT highly recommends foreigners planning to visit Thailand to enquire at the Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate-General in their home country before making any bookings.